The following groupings of play at The Midwest Mania serve as an Official Qualifier to the USA Basketball 2018 U.S. Open Basketball Championships: 8th grade boys, 13U boys and 12U boys. Teams will select to enter the Stars or Stripes division within each grouping of play. The Stars division best suits established and competitive club travel teams while the Stripes division is offered for locally-based, or newly formed, club and recreational teams. The first and second place teams from each group and division will earn a bid to enter the 2018 U.S.
Open Basketball Championships for boys on June 30-July 3 in Westfield, Indiana. Third and fourth place teams will receive waitlist bids should first and second place teams not accept their bids.
• 8th Grade: Enrolled in 8th grade or lower as of October 1, 2017 AND cannot turn 16 prior to September 1, 2018.
• 13U: Cannot turn 14 prior to September 1, 2018 (this is an age division, grade exceptions are not permitted).
• 12U: Cannot turn 13 prior to September 1, 2018 (this is an age division, grade exceptions are not permitted).
• Stars: Established and competitive club travel teams
• Stripes: Locally-based, or newly formed, club and recreational teams
It is the responsibility of the head coach to provide age and grade (if applicable) verification for players at any time throughout the event. Permitted forms of player age verification include birth certificates, passports and government-issued IDs (originals, hard copies or digital copies).
Permitted forms of player grade verification include school-issued report cards or school administrator confirmation of grade issued on school letterhead (originals, hard copies or digital copies).
All coaches and bench personnel participating in the 8th grade, 13U or 12U divisions must have a valid USA Basketball Coach License on file with USA Basketball prior to the start of the event. The coach license process requires successfully passing a background check which generally takes 7-10 business days to process. To obtain a coach license, visit https://community.usab.com/ or Click HERE
It is the responsibility of the head coach to provide verification of coach licensure at any time throughout the event. Once licensed, set your online coach account profile to “public” view for real-time verification of licensure onsite. Only actively licensed coaches are permitted on the bench to coach.
This tournament will be played by National Federation of State High School Associations rules.
• For a full list of National Federation of State High School Associations rules click HERE